Okay, so the vandalism happened a while ago, but it’s still unfortunate that the stone cross that once adorned the steeple of the original Mercy Academy building in the Original Highlands is now destroyed. It seems foolish the girls Catholic school forgot to take the ornament with them to their campus way out in the suburbs when they moved last year.
A small plaque next to the shattered cross explains its history:
Cross erected above the original building of Our Lady of Mercy, 1901. Dedicated here September 24, 1981, in memory of all the Sisters of Mercy in the Louisville area, in the one hundred fiftieth year of the founding of the congregation, 1831–1981.
So the cross lasted nearly twenty seven years to the day at its East Broadway site. Watch out Wayside, the place is surely cursed now.