Salvation Army Citadel in 1941 (via U of L Photographic Archives)
Salvation Army Citadel in 1941 (via U of L Photographic Archives)
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Share on LinkedIn
Pin to Pinterest
Share on StumbleUpon
+
Salvation Army Citadel in 1916 (via U of L Photographic Archives)
Salvation Army Citadel in 1916. (via U of L Photographic Archives)

Built in 1916, the Salvation Army Citadel was located on Chestnut Street between Second and Third Streets. The three-story brick and stone structure provided office space, short-term housing, and social service facilities. Designed by Joseph & Joseph Architects, the Citadel was described by the Courier-Journal as a “model for Salvation Army facilities across the nation.”

Current Salvation Army building (BS File Photo)
Current Salvation Army building. (Branden Klayko / Broken Sidewalk)

Resembling many suburban apartment buildings designed by the same architect, the Citadel served as the headquarters for the entire Kentucky & Tennessee region beginning in 1927. The building featured two colors of brick with an argyle pattern at the parapet and stone shields, some engraved with “S” and “A.”

This small fortress stood until 1976 when it was demolished and a new two-story brick and steel structure replaced it on the same site. I think it’s safe to say it doesn’t come close to being as architecturally significant as the original Citadel.

Map of Salvation Army site (via Lojic)
Map of Salvation Army site. (via Lojic)

You can also see from the photo that Chestnut Street was paved in cobblestone in 1916 with trolley tracks running through it. By 1941, the cobbles had disappeared, but the trolley tracks were still there. Now, of course, the tracks are gone too (or perhaps hiding just under the asphalt).

More information on the Louisville Area Command of the Salvation Army can be found here.

Salvation Army Citadel in 1941 (via U of L Photographic Archives)
Salvation Army Citadel in 1941. (via U of L Photographic Archives)
Current Salvation Army Building & Environs (BS File Photo)
Current Salvation Army Building & Environs. (Branden Klayko / Broken Sidewalk)

[  Credits:  Modern photographs from the Broken Sidewalk Archive; Map via Lojic; Historic photographs from the University of Louisville Photographic Archive – Reference URL 1, URL 2.  ]

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Share on LinkedIn
Pin to Pinterest
Share on StumbleUpon
+
Branden Klayko

Branden Klayko

Founder and Editor at Broken Sidewalk
Branden founded Broken Sidewalk in 2008 while practicing architecture in Louisville. He continued the site for seven years while living in New York City, returning to Louisville in 2016. Branden is a graduate of the College of Architecture at Washington University in St. Louis, and has covered architecture, design, and urbanism for The Architect's Newspaper, Designers & Books, Inhabitat, and the American Institute of Architects.
Branden Klayko

Leave a Reply