The small Frankel Memorial Chapel built in 1905 has collapsed. Long-time Broken Sidewalk contributor Diane Deaton-Street pointed out the tragic news and has shared a few photos of the aftermath. Designed in the eclectic style, the chapel sits in the back of the Temple Brith Sholom Cemetery section of the larger Adath Israel Cemetery on Preston Street south of Eastern Parkway, Kentucky’s oldest extant Jewish cemetery, but the identity of the architect remains uncertain.
The collapse occurred on July 25 when cemetery maintenance workers were attempting to remove the decaying roof for repair, which had been deteriorating for many years. It looks like what was left of the interior is a complete loss, but the roof and stone pieces have been stacked on site. No word yet as to the future of the chapel.
Adath Israel Cemetery is marked by a gatehouse dating to 1876 and a stone chapel built in 1890 designed by the Louisville firm Maury & Dodd at its entrance on Preston Street. The site was laid out in 1876 based on a scaled-back design by noted cemetery architect Benjamin Grove (the original plan can be viewed in the cemetery caretakers office). The Frankel Memorial Chapel was named after 19th century industrialist Henry U. Frankel who owned the Manufacturer’s & Railway Supply company once located at 151 Third Street, Delsola Therese Frankel, and Abraham Frankel. More information (and photos) on the Frankel Memorial Chapel from the National Register:
It is a one-story stone building with a stone facade which projects above the gabled roof and extends beyond the sides of the building. This facade is stepped and crowned with a large arch pierced by three rectangular openings. A pedimented porch with hipped tile roof is supported by Tuscan columns. The chapel roof is also tile and three windows are located on each side. The gabled chancel projects from the rear wall, and contains half timbering.