The Madrid Building—designed by E.T. Hutchings in 1929 (best known for his grand houses in Old Louisville & Glenview), and home to the Madrid Ballroom—has been renovated for office and retail use. The attached 220 space parking garage, also from the 1920s, has been refurbished as well.
The three-story Classical Revival building at the corner of 3rd and Guthrie streets once had an ornate Castilian interior with golden walls and tapestries. The Encyclopedia of Louisville claims the Madrid Building was considered one of the most beautiful ballrooms in America. However, in 1952, its doors closed.
Now after a $3 million renovation the building’s nearly 46,000 square feet are back in action, though not as a night club. Overall the building looks great with its new sidewalk light fixtures and glass canopy. Now we just need to see that retail space filled in.
The photos go back in time… all the way to the beginning.