So we’re not breaking any news, but we did stop by to photograph the scene today around lunch. The fire broke out shortly after 4:00 this morning and is believed to have originated in the rear dumpster. The neighborhood surrounding Cafe Mimosa lost power for several hours today, but electricity was restored before noon. Bardstown Road was blocked in both directions as firefighters roamed through still smoldering building. Luckily the fire was contained to the restaurant and did not spread to either adjacent building, including an animal clinic. With temperatures below zero or in single digits, water from the fire fight froze on all surfaces around the scene creating a surreal hell-frozen-over atmosphere.
The roof collapsed into the building and the structure has been declared a total loss. We haven’t heard from the business owners or if there are plans to rebuild or reopen in another location. The entire scene was quiet and icy. A TARC bus had been brought in to offer firefighters refuge from the extreme cold. The roads and sidewalks have been salted, but the area is still slick. There were also an arson tip line posters on nearby telephone polls, but we don’t believe this has been ruled an arson yet.